Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Being a Part of Something Great!!!











November was a great month! Aside from the usual blessings of being allowed to see all 30 days of it, I was graced with some awesome events that occurred.




The first and most profound was the premiere of my son Deric Muhammad's documentary "Raising Boys: Tips for Single Moms, Pt.1. It took place on November 5 at the Angelika Theater in downtown Houston. The documentary included interviews with single moms who are raising boys, including myself, and provided pertinent information from Bro Deric on coping with the challenges involved. There were testimonials from two boys (my grandsons) about being raised by a single mom that brought the audience to tears and to cheers. The turnout was fantastic and the support was awe-inspiring. The documentary itself created a huge buzz on all the social networking sites as well as the community at large. The producer was Lawrence Moody of Moody Entertainment and without him it would not have come to life. It was attended by City Councilman Jarvis Johnson, State Representative Sylvester Turner, our next City Controller Ron Green, and the CEO of the Black Broadcasting Network, Entertainment Attorney Ricky Anderson. There were also family members, friends and constituents of Deric's present for this auspicious occasion. I was honored to be the Mistress of Ceremonies and thoroughly enjoyed the entire evening. It was a bit surreal to watch myself on the screen, but I felt like a real star! I am posting some of the pics and look forward to the next chapter. (DVD's are available, contact myself or Bro Deric for info).


More of November to come!! Stay tuned!

No comments: