Thursday, November 13, 2008

Are you "Musically Diverse"?

Something happened at my job today that I just thought I should share. I have always considered myself as someone who liked a variety of music. I was raised on blues, R&B, some of the first rap to come out, and of course, gospel. Well, lately I have acquired an appreciation for country western music and have gotten some very interesting responses from clients. I am the Admissions Coordinator at the facility so I am pretty much the first person clients sit down and talk with when they arrive. Being the type of person that likes a pleasant work environment, I usually play the radio on the Internet while I work. I normally have it tuned to either gospel or country western, depending on my mood. The first noticeably funny comment I received was when I was tuned in to country western music while admitting a Caucasian man. I started the interview with a general statement and he sat down, after carefully listened, and stated " OK, but you and that music don't go together". I was a little startled at first, but it made me laugh out loud. I continued on with the admission but in the back of my mind I was thinking "What did he mean by that? Should I be offended? " Some Blacks would have taken the remark as racist or stereotypical, but I guess I am at a point where I am not that easily offended. When the session was over, I did ask him why he said that and he began explaining profusely and saying he did not mean anything derogatory. I told him to just be careful of what he says and who he says it around.
Now today, the tables were totally turned! I admitted a Black man who made a casual comment about my liking country western music to which I replied yes. But after we finished, before he left my office he stated" I think you are the first Black woman I have ever known who likes country western music". That made me really laugh out loud too. Not only because of what he said, but coming from a brother, there was no way I could get offended. Guess I am one of the rare breed of sisters who are musically diverse. My new found love of country western music is a direct result of my son, who loves it, calling me in the room to listen to the words of some of those songs. They talk about real life things, fun things, spiritual things and serious things. I thank God for making me so diverse!
Oh yeah, last night I watched the Country Music Awards and my favorite guy, Kenny Chesney won Entertainer of the Year! Come on , broaden your horizons, you just might like it!!

No comments: