Wednesday, November 5, 2008

THE SIGN THAT DIDN'T MOVE

Last night I entered a post about my experience at the election polls. Well, I left out one that I think is more than worthy to be posted.
My mother is, and has been one of Barack Obama's strongest supporters of his Presidential campaign. She traveled across town to make phone calls for him, diligently recruited voter registration in the community and proudly displayed her endorsement of him. She also had an Obama/Biden sign in her yard that became quite famous. You see, in spite of the fact that the tallest pine tree in her yard was uprooted by Hurricane Ike, that sign did not move. My son posted pictures of that sign on his blog (Brother Jesse) and we all laughed in amazement at it's endurance.
As a way of ensuring he was represented at our polling place, she brought her beloved sign and had it placed out front among the others. Well, when we went to retrieve it, it was gone. I could see the pain and disappointment on my mother's face and felt a little responsible because she had asked me to remember to get it when it got dark outside, and I got busy and forgot. She even had to take a break and go to the other room where I believe she may have shed a tear. Some would say "hey, it was just a sign; but that one was special to her.
I'm sure whoever took it had no idea of the sentimental value it had to my mother, and probably thought it was there for the taking. However, I want to encourage everyone to be mindful and not take things that don't belong to you. If you didn't put it there, then it's not yours to remove!
My mother will get past this, but if at all possible, I want to find her another sign just like that one, after all, it was my fault, right Mom?

No comments: